Wednesday, August 4, 2010

It's still here


The Windows Vista AND the laptop, lol.

I have reached a tentative peace agreement with the VISTA. It's more trouble to try to go back "down" to the Windows XP (and my son will so frown at me) and to try to make it forward compatible to the new Windows 7, well, we're so not prepared to go there right now.

I've had few problems after hubby and computer-literate son wrestled a few of my existing programs. And I'm so capable and ready to "google" when I have a problem. I tell you... as soon as I start typing "xyz" compatible with or to work with... Windows Vista in the search box on my google page... I get all kinds of help, lol. Whatever problems/changes I encounter, dollars to donuts someone else before me as had it, lol. Yup. The last holdout/problem is that our colour printer is so NOT compatible with the Vista. Oh well, my flashdrive is at my fingertips and I have
access to another couple 'puters here so off I'll go if I want that printer. No biggie; life goes on. I'm having more problem getting used to the new-to-me Word 2007. ARGH!!!!

Until today. Grrrr. And I cannot blame it on the Vista. Nope. Not this time. It has to do with our power outage yesterday from a big storm that blew in. Happened before and it's a pain to bounce around the house from 'puter to 'puter and router, to modem to... Can't print from any of the 'puters. Have re-set the print server myself, cleared cache, powered down, turned off and re-set printers. Heehee... wait 'til the hubby gets home, lol. Remember that childhood song?

The toe bone's connected to the heel bone,
The heel bone's connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone's connected to the leg bone,
The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the back bone,
The back bone's connected to the neck bone, ...

Think someone needs to re-visit it and refer to computer networks... the printer's connected to the computerOH, the computerOH's connected to the ethernetOH, the ethernetOH's connected to the main computerOH, the main computerOH's connected to the internetOH...

If you "google" (love that word and that site) why 'puters are like men, you'll nod your head in understanding:

Computers are Like Men...
In order to get their attention, you have to turn them on.
They are supposed to help you solve problems, but half the time they are the problem.
They have a lot of data but are still clueless.
As soon as you commit to one, you realize that, if you had waited a little longer you could have had a better model.
They hear what you say, but not what you mean.

Now... I MUST put a disclosure statement here. My hubby is SO not like the above, but from what I hear from girlfriends... he's one-of-a-kind and one of my friends is quick to say, "he's perfect" (see? not even having to come from my lips [grin]). But I just love the above. It's how I feel about this computer/printer issue today.


Why especially today? Well, I have so gotta prepare my "binder" of materials for the upcoming painting convention. My "bible" with all the schedules for the booth and the teachers and price lists and orders and my plane reservations, hotel info and ... whew, just all the "stuff". Good thing I haven't TOTALLY left it 'til the last minute. Heehee (just about). So what am I going to do then? Well, go and get my small carryon case that I take the booth SUPPLIES in (sales books, pens, cash box, calculator, bags...) and inventory what I have and what I need. Intend to get all this stuff done by Friday. Then I can throw my clothes in a suitcase Saturday ready for the flight to Columbus, Ohio and the HOOT Painting Convention on Sunday.

It'll be a whirlwind week but I'll try to post about some of it. If not while I'm there, when I get back sometime. Hopefully it'll be sooner than later [wink].

~Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment